Amazon launches Sustainability Data Initiative which leverages cloud and open data
Amazon has announced that it has launched the Amazon Sustainability Data Initiative, a programme which aims to promote sustainability research, innovation, and problem-solving by making key data easily accessible.
The programme is a joint effort between Amazon Web Services (AWS) Open Data and Amazon Sustainability teams.
The AWS Open Data program already makes numerous data sets available to the public through its Registry of Open Data on AWS.
- Majority of firms use data analytics to enhance customer experience and mitigate risk, says Infosys
- Equinix set to build new data centre in Helsinki to support digital transformation
- HPE acquires BlueData to fuel AI and data-driven digital transformations
- Read the December issue of Gigabit magazine
The programme identities data related to sustainability and works closely with data providers like the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to host their data in the AWS Cloud, giving them complete ownership and control over how there data is shared.
By removing the challenge of data acquisition, the Amazon Sustainability Data Initiative enables faster research at a lower cost
Example of data sets available through the programme include weather observations and forecast data, climate projections data and air quality data.
By providing easier access to sustainability data sets, it will help researchers and innovators address a range of sustainability issues, including the impact of climate change and weather extremes.
Josh Hacker, Co-founder of Jupiter Intel, which helps organizations prepare for climate change and weather risks, said that AWS “allows us to do things at scale that have not been done at scale before.”
- Snowflake opens new UK office amid strong momentum in EMEAData & Data Analytics
- BT unveils partnership with AWS in boost to UK businessesCloud & Cybersecurity
- Lenovo announces 2050 net zero sustainability ambitionsDigital Transformation
- Ajit Kolhe from AWS on sustainability & automotive solutionsDigital Transformation