Apple Maps introduce 3D view with iOS 15 in selected cities
With the release of iOS 15, Apple Maps has introduced new ways to explore major cities in 3D.
The new Apple Maps update is the biggest to date, and is now available in London, Los Angeles, New York City, and the San Francisco Bay Area, with more cities to come. Later this year, it will be available in Philadelphia, San Diego, and Washington, D.C. Additional cities, including Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver, will be available next year.
(Image source: Apple)
“We are thrilled to offer the new Apple Maps experience. Maps is the best way to navigate the world: It is easy to use, beautifully designed, and built with privacy at its core. With this update, we are pushing Maps even further, providing more ways for users to discover the natural beauty of the world and explore cities through a new 3D view,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Services.
“Our goal has always been to build the best and most accurate map in the world. The upgrades in Apple Maps are a continuation of that effort, with features and an attention to detail that only Apple can deliver.”
Exploring cities with extra details
With 3D maps, however, Apple Maps users will be able to see more details for areas across the city including their neighborhoods, commercial districts, marinas, buildings, and more, the company says, along with elevation details, new road labels, and even custom-designed landmarks.
For example, Apple Maps will show renderings for famous spots, like Coit Tower in San Francisco, Dodger Stadium in L.A., the Statue of Liberty in NYC, and the Royal Albert Hall in London, with more landmarks to come in time.
(Image source: Apple)
What other features are available with Apple Maps on iOS 15?
In addition to the new updates available in iOS 15, Apple Maps offers many useful features:
- Look Around gives users a way to explore parts of the world through an interactive 3D street-level experience and a smooth, seamless 360-degree view. Customers anywhere in the world can explore places like Dublin, Edinburgh, London, Los Angeles, New York City, Tokyo, Toronto, and the Italian countryside.
- Cycling directions show the elevation for a ride, how busy a street is, and whether there are stairs along a route. With voice guidance and Haptic Touch on Apple Watch, users can stay even more focused on the path ahead while enjoying their ride.
- Speed cameras let users know when approaching speed and red light cameras along a route, with the added ability to see where cameras are located on the map.
- Share ETA enables users to share an estimated time of arrival with family, friends, and coworkers with a simple tap or by asking Siri.
- Incident reports make it possible to safely and easily report an accident, hazard, or speed check along a route by simply letting Siri know “There’s an accident up ahead” or “There is something on the road.” Users can even report when incidents displayed on the map have been cleared, all while keeping their focus on the road.
- Favourites provide one-tap navigation to frequently visited places. Whether they’re headed home, to work, to the gym, or to school, users can simply tap and go once a location is added to Favorites on the launch screen.
- Indoor Maps for airports and malls allow users to simply open the Maps app and see what level they’re on, look for toilets and even find out which stores and restaurants are open.