Verizon connects a smartphone to its 5G network in partnership with Motorola, Samsung and Qualcomm
Verizon has announced it has successfully connected a smartphone to its 5G network in partnership with Motorola, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and Qualcomm Technologies Inc.
The US telecommunications firm said it performed several tests over the 5G network, including browsing the internet and placing a video call.
The test was completed in Providence, Rhode Island, using a Motorola Moto Z3 paired with a 5G mobile network, which Verizon describes as “the world’s first 5G-upgradeable smartphone”.
- T-Mobile to power Washington HQ with 100% renewable energy in sustainability push
- Sprint reports positively on all three customer segments for Q1
- Verizon confirms Houston as the next location for 5G roll-out
“In the past two years, we have consistently led the world in 5G, including launching the world’s first commercial 5G service last month. This successful test, using an actual smartphone, widens our lead,” said Bill Stone, vice president, Technology Development and Planning for Verizon.
“We will be the first to offer a 5G upgradeable smartphone on our network in 2019.”
The test also used Verizon’s 28GHZ millimetre-wave spectrum, Samsung’s 5G New Radio (NR) solutions as well as a Qualcomm Snapdragon X505G modem and Qualcomm’s QTM052 mmWave antenna modules.
Shakil Barkat, Vice President of Global Product Development at Motorola, said: “This test is also one step closer to getting upgraded speed and connectivity that will affect all aspects of our daily lives. 5G will be a transformational leap in wireless, and we are excited to be a part of it.”
Magnus Ojert, vice president, Networks Division, Samsung Electronics America, added: “Samsung’s early and extensive innovation in 5G is helping to lay the foundation for the next generation of wireless communications.
“Beginning with our contributions to Verizon’s 5G Home service, commercialized on October 1, and now with 5G New Radio, we’re excited to continue our work with Verizon while advancing our lead in delivering 5G mobile technology that will benefit consumers, businesses and cities.”
- Cloud & 5G - Day 2 highlights from the in-person stageCloud & Cybersecurity
- Cloud & 5G - Day 1 highlights from the in-person stageCloud & Cybersecurity
- TECH LIVE LONDON: Panel discussions on Cloud&5G stageCloud & Cybersecurity
- EV manufacturer Hyperbat launch VR/5G concept with QualcommDigital Transformation