Walmart signs partnership with Microsoft to boost digital innovation in retail
US retailer, Walmart, has signed a five-year agreement with Microsoft Corp. to help accelerate its digital transformation in retail.
Under the deal, Walmart has chosen Microsoft Corp. as its strategic cloud provider, pledging to leverage a full range of Microsoft’s cloud solutions, including Microsoft Azure and Microsoft 365, as part of a “broad set of cloud innovation projects.”
In doing so, the retailer hopes to double down on its e-commerce presence to better compete with Amazon whilst also making shopping faster and easier for customers.
- Walmart's Jet.com pushes for same-day grocery delivery in NYC with new fulfilment centre
- Tesco UK chief executive steps down
- Tesco and Carrefour form 'strategic alliance' to buy products
The retailer said it also plans to overhaul existing Walmart applications and “drive a more cloud-native environment.”
“Walmart’s commitment to technology is centred around creating incredibly convenient ways for customers to shop and empowering associates to do their best work," said Doug McMillon, Walmart CEO.
“Walmart is a people led, tech-empowered company, and we’re excited about what this technology partnership will bring for our customers and associates,” he adds.
“Whether it’s combined with our agile cloud platform or leveraging machine learning and artificial intelligence to work smarter, we believe Microsoft will be a strong partner in driving our ability to innovate even further and faster."
Walmart said that it will now embark on a range of cloud innovation projects that leverage machine learning, artificial intelligence, and data platform solutions for a range of external customer-facing services and internal business applications.
"Walmart is a pioneering retailer, committed to empowering its employees and delivering the best experience for its customers wherever they are," said Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft. “The world’s leading companies run on our cloud, and I’m thrilled to partner with Walmart to accelerate their digital transformation with Microsoft Azure and Microsoft 365."
- Will biometrics make way for a passwordless future?Cloud & Cybersecurity
- How can you ‘recession-proof’ your tech company?Digital Transformation
- TECH LIVE LONDON: An overview of the hybrid technology showDigital Transformation
- Meta, Microsoft, and others form Metaverse Standards ForumDigital Transformation